You can access the Institution network from off Campus through a VPN connection. This page provides instructions for connecting to VPN in Windows 8 and 8.1.
Open Network and Sharing Center
- In the bottom-right corner of your desktop, right-click on the networking icon.
- Select “Open Network and Sharing Center”.
Click “Set up a new connection or network”.
Connect to a Workplace
- Click “Connect to a workplace.”
- Click “Next.”
Click “Use my Internet connection (VPN)”
Set the Address and Name
- In the internet address box type, “vpn.oc.edu”
- Enter a destination name. (We recommend “Institution VPN”)
Configure the New VPN
- Go back to the Network and Sharing screen.
- Click “Change adapter settings.”
Edit the Properties of Your Connection
- Right-click on the new Institution VPN to reveal a drop-down menu.
- From the menu, select “Properties.”
Change Security Settings
- Navigate to the Security tab.
- Under “Type of VPN” select “Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPsec (L2TP/IPsec).”
- Select the “Allow these protocols” radio button.
- Check the “Microsoft CHAP Version 2” checkbox.
- Click on Advanced Settings
- Select the Radio button for “Use preshared key for authentication.
- Type Eagles in the Key box
- Press OK
- Press OK again.
Finished! You May Now Connect to Institution VPN
Click on the Network Icon in the Bottom-Right Corner of the Desktop
- Click on your new connection (probably labeled “Institution VPN”).
- Click “Connect.”
Login to the VPN
- Login to the VPN using your Institution email and Institution password information.
- Click “OK.”
Finished. You Should Be Connected
If You Experience an Error
If you see the above error, go back to the step on this page labeled “Change Security Settings” and make sure you have followed this step correctly.